Thursday, March 26, 2009

Memories of China, Taj Residency, Bangalore

Before I comment about the restaurant, I should mention that the security @ the Taj has been beefed up.  Guests cars (even resident guests) are not parked in the complex.  You have to exit your car almost as soon as you enter the gate (not even @ the portico...I don't understand how they would manage it during the rains).  All baggage is scanned like in our airports and you enter through a metal detector.  I certainly hope they are able to manage their security well @ all their properties.

The restaurant seats a bit more than 100 pax.  Was brightly lit and when I entered @ around 8pm, only one other table was occupied by a couple.  But soon enough the place filled up, mostly with foreigners.  Quite good considering it was a Tuesday evening.

They took around 40 minutes to get the steamed pork dumplings (jiao zi pork).  Six tasty dumplings that disappeared in no time.
I ordered a beef semi gravy dish (Poached beef tenderloin in spicy sauce).  Was rather tasty.  However, it was not thinly sliced as it was meant to be.  The portion was also quite large.  I ordered a seafood noodles to go with the beef gravy.  The hakka noodles was again very tasty.   The noodles had quite a bit of crab meat and prawns, I should say.  The portion of noodles is certainly not enough for two hungry people.  One should order at least two items (rice or noodles) along with a gravy in order to be satiated.  I did not order more as the gravy was over by now and I did not want to wait for another 15 minutes for the food.   The main course items were served in less than 15 minutes, thankfully.

The food cost INR 1700/-.  One small RC whiskey costs INR 250/-.

Reco - Food's tasty.  Portions could have been better.  Worth a visit.

Now, a word on the parking.  The hotel has a parking lot adjacent to the hotel which can apparently accommodate upto 100 cars.  However, if you are lucky and this place is filled, your car could end up quite a distance away and you would have to wait for at least 15 minutes before you get yours back.  Of course if you have the time, you could spend it looking at the reactions of other impatient and nervous guests who had arrived before you to collect their vehicles.  I should say I was disappointed with this.

No comments: